Sunday, October 3, 2010

discover vintage


Hey my soon to be followers! I have been a busy little bee this past week keeping up with school and being apart of the “Society.” That is, my internship with Society for Rational Dress. I love working with the M-team there, who are all very helpful and patient. But, the best part of the gig, is that it is located in a brick loft building in the up-in-coming Arts District!

Just east of Little Tokyo, near the Fourth St Bridge, this artsy neighborhood has plenty to offer. Definitely, my most recent cool spot to be. There are renovated warehouse buildings and new condos surrounding you, and the art is everywhere. It is cleanly place along walls and there are frequent exhibits in random warehouses along the street. There are innovative restaurants like Wurstküche featuring Belgian fries and beer, and exotic sausages-German Food! Cafes like Metropol and Novel Café feature local artist's paintings and are also great spots for salads, sandwiches, or a cappuccino.

My favorite place to shop during my lunch break is on Third Street, it’s a vintage shop called Raggedy Threads. The store is stocked with vintage finds from the 50’s, 60’s, the hippies of the rebellious 70’s, and 80's. They carry women and men’s clothing and accessories, including tees, dresses, denim, and western styles. I am especially obsessed with these khaki corduroy shorts, only $25 and the navy 70's kimono maxi dress, which is only $28. I also love the ode to the owl décor of the place. Keep your eyes peeled while shopping; there are literally hundreds of owls surrounding you! Sadly, they will only be open in the Arts District until December; the good news is they just opened a larger location in Little Tokyo, which will be the permanent store in 2011. You can also find their vintage goodies on Etsy.com, but the neighborhood experience is certainly recommended.

Photo Credits:

http://www.raggedythreads.com

http://www.etsy.com/shop/RaggedyThreads

2 comments:

  1. Love this.!! congrats on your internship! thanks for following me! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG I thought I was the only one that knew of Wurstkuche. My favorite is the Austin Blues! and their beer is amazing!

    ReplyDelete